Today was one of the most productive work days we have had. The biggest thing was pouring the concrete for the deck’s foundation, but we had a few other projects going on the side. Scroll through for details.
We had to finish tying the rebar before we could pour. Since it has to be at least 2″ away from the formwork, we had to cut a few pieces and reshape them.
Checking if the forms are level: perfect! (In this spot, anyway.)
The concrete truck drove to the edge of the park and a tractor brought loads over to the deck site.
We worked with a team of concrete experts today. After it was poured, it was meticulously smoothed and shaped.
We were nearly done when we ran out of concrete. The truck went and got us a little more, but we weren’t in the clear yet.
We ran out of concrete after we made it around the outside. We sent for some bags to mix ourselves. Here it is being carried over.
800 lbs. of concrete. We didn’t use it all but wanted to make sure we’d have enough.
We used pond water to mix our own concrete.
Hand mixing concrete in the wheelbarrow.
Filling in the last piece of formwork with concrete.
The group that worked on the deck all semester make their signature in the concrete, though it will be covered by the deck.
Our team of concrete experts smile for a picture. We couldn’t have done it without them!
MEANWHILE, AT OTHER PARTS OF THE SITE: Sorry for the long post; we came a long way today!
The wetland biome is installed.
The biome team tests out their first installation. Thumbs up!
We fixed the water problem in the foundation hole for the concrete bench by digging a foot deeper, filling it with a layer of jagged rocks, then compacting gravel on top of that. Rebar is tied here-ready for a concrete pour.
Wood delivery. The wood for the deck came today and needed to be stored off the ground. We stacked it on top of this grid and wrapped it up.
Getting the wood off the truck was no easy feat, but we managed in the end with only a few scratches. That’s a wrap!