We started out this morning at Burke Park, planning on digging out the foundation for the deck and shaping the final mound. We made a lot of progress, but were forced to concede defeat an hour later with the arrival of yet another late-April storm. We headed back to the studio to do some prefabrication for the concrete benches and decks.
Another day, another dump truck. This was a dirt delivery for the last mound.
Sunshine as we began to dig.
As things started to look ominous, we worked quickly to get to a stopping point.
Covering up holes we dug for the deck’s foundation.
Packing up as it started to sleet.
Back at our studio, students bend steel rebar for the concrete we will pour.
Cutting wood to be formwork for the concrete. It will be built in the shapes of the benches, concrete will be poured in and will cure in that shape, then the wood is taken away.